Peptides, a revolutionary anti-aging product
Following on from retinol, collagen and Botox, the new generation of « polypeptide » treatments dramatically advances alternatives to surgical intervention. Peptides are the leading-edge in anti-aging technology.
Their properties of increasing collagen production make the skin firmer, and diminish the depth and prominence of wrinkles. That’s a remarkable and noteworthy ability.
WHAT IS A PEPTIDE?
Peptides are a collection of amino acids (and as such are the foundation for all cells), which, once recombined, form molecules – peptides – which act as cellular messengers and transmission agents for the nervous system. In turn, groups of peptides become proteins.
Their effects are numerous, and include:
- Healing of skin conditions (eg : wrinkles, irritations, rashes, minor scars
- Regeneration thanks to its protective action on the neural system, which prevents the degradation of nerves in the skin which communicate with groups of skin cells. This means that the epidermis ages less quickly and gains a new vitality.
- Thickening of the skin and reduction of wrinkles thanks to the increase in collagen and of fibronectin.
PEPTIDES OR SURGERY?
This key question revolves around knowing whether peptides can offset aging of the skin sufficiently to avoid recourse to cosmetic surgery or injections.
In studies by the Dermaglow NuVectin laboratory, the numbers speak for themselves:
- A reduction of wrinkles by 50%
- Bags under the eyes reduced by 32%
- Lip volume increased by 40%, giving the skin a noticeably more youthful appearance
Doctor Daniel Maes, vice-president of international research and development at Estee Lauder, is clear:
« I’m quite convinced that if one starts a treatment at the right time, a course of peptides can genuinely and considerably retard skin-aging, and therefore the need to fall back on cosmetic surgery. »
SO WHEN IS THE « RIGHT TIME »?
Beginning at age 35, or even before if necessary, is the expert advice. The other advantage of peptides is that they have absolutely no allergic reactions. « The effect is better than that of retinol and without causing skin irritation. » It’s a compelling case.
ANTI-AGING AND RELAXING PEPTIDES
These chains of amino acids, already present naturally in the skin, are becoming more and more popular. They might also be referred to as dipeptides, hexapeptides, or polypeptides, based on the number of amino acids of which they’re composed.
They are messengers which operate by mimicry: they attach to cell receptors which action then triggers a cascade of reactions in the skin.
WHAT IS THEIR ORIGIN?
Peptides have been around since the 1970’s, mainly used under medical supervision. Their use in cosmetics is relatively recent. Synthetically manufactured, they’re exact reproductions of those found in plants (argania, algae extracts, yeast extracts…).
You can therefore be assured of products of exceptional purity and robustness. They’re expensive to produce, but equally and fortunately, they’re very effective even with small doses.
WHAT IS THEIR EFFECT ON THE SKIN?
- Some boost cell renewal. Others stimulate fibroblasts, encouraging the synthesis of collagen and elastin, and reducing the degradation of these fibres.
- Others are soothing, anti-irritants or anti-inflammatories, and are effective against chronic inflammation, which otherwise accelerates aging.
WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO GET RESULTS?
There are unlikely to be visible results in under a month, as peptides act at a fundamental level. They’re typically used for a minimum of three months, as also applies for example to anti-aging hormones.